Preliminary Task: Table of Contents Analysis

    Welcome back everyone i‘m glad to have you visiting again!! As promised, in todays blog we will be going very in depth about all elements regarding my table of contents for my table of contents. Let’s take a closer look at the notes and titles i put in my analysis.
Image from: Canva

     Wow what an amazing table of contents!! Alright in all seriousness lets take a closer look. I knew from the very beginning i didn’t want a conventional format for a table of contents. Usually, the page itself would have a big “table of contents” label on top of the page with a generic and vanilla list going down which shows what pages correspond with what topic of the magazine. I didn’t want to follow this format. A big concept i always have as ther first thing in my mind was “how can i make this page look great”. And what i decided was to instead have the title as well as the issuer name in the middle of the page. This offered a unique yet visually abstract way with how a table of contents could look. for the font, i wanted to shake it up a bit and make the title and issue number hollow to offer a something different for the audience to read. I then made them all the color yellow in order to match with the cover page. I then thought of what i could do to add just a little flare while still keeping the style my magazine was giving off. That is when i decided to create a solid yellow border around the title and issue number, which gives a simple yet effective change to the page. 

    For the actual table of contents i wanted to keep the font very simple as the purpose of this page is just to guide the reader to know which part of the magazine they want to read. I made sure to make the color of the number and of the letters separate. That way it would make it a lot easier for you as the reader to contrast the information. I also made sure to make all parts of the table of contents to also be surrounded by the bold yellow beams. Instead of creating the list that goes straight down, i thought i would cut it half way and switch the rest of the list to other side. Although seeming quite easy (and it is), it just changes the reading experience for the reader so that its not vanilla.

    And finally for the pictures, i just decided to insert them in the remaining spaces of the page so that it does not look completely empty while still providing of use to the page. It shows photographs of me and my teammate, for whom the magazine is written about.

    In short, while conducting my research in how a table of contents format could be, i took it upon myself to take some creative liberties. I did not know so much thought and effort can be put on a page that would take the average person a minute to go through. But overall i am very happy with my finished product and i hope you guys are too. That’s it for me this post, stay tuned for the next blog where i will be showing you guys the final part of my preliminary task: the double page spread!!

Comments